Saturday, May 5, 2012

Yummy Veggie Pasta Sauce

This is the recipe so many asked me for after I pinned it to pinterest bg
yesterday! Side note: this worked so well and tasted amazing! Both my veggie- hesitant kiddos ate two helpings!

4 zucchini or squash ( I used squad since they didn't have the other) chopped
1 large onion chopped in big pieces
4 large peeled and diced carrots
I pack baby portabellas
I jar your fave tomato pasta sauce
1/3 stick 1/3 less fat cream cheese
2 tsp sugar
Chicken broth to thin out thickness

First I roasted the all the veggies except for the mushrooms! I used about a tbsp of evoo and toss the veggies with it. Next for the spices
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flake ( u can omit)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
Salt and pepper

Roast on high heat 450 for about 10 minutes or until onion are translucent. I stirred them about halfway through.

While the veggies are roasting, heat your large saucepan/ stock pot and add the mushrooms and your tomato sauce. Add your roasted veggies and the cream cheese. Keep stirring to help melt the cream cheese. Add sugar and stir.

I used an immersion blender to purée the big chunks of veggies. It had more of a chunky salsa texture than an actual purée. If you don't Have one - let the sauce cool, then put it in the blender, until you get that consistency.

I used this in a lasagna last night, even my hubby thought the sauce looked like a meat sauce! Tasted great too! Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment